The following article is a guest post generously shared with us by Ralph Macey, a marketing executive and freelance writer.
Since the beginning of this year, many people start creating lists of resolutions that may help them become happier, as well as their “best self”. But they didn’t know that they can live their best of their life full of happiness, just by following a self-care checklist.
As per a discussion on “7 sins of happiness” in his book If You’re So Smart, Why Aren’t You Happy?, Dr. Raj Raghunathan, marketing professor at The University of Texas at Austin, mentioned 7 reasons that may hold you back from being happy.
Most of the time, people deliberately let their various issues to control themselves instead of taking control of the situation. That’s why people often lose their focus of the fact that they themselves can control their happiness. But do you know the issues that may hold you back from your happiness self? Let’s check them out first.
The reasons are as follows:
- Devaluing happiness – Not being happy as much you need to be.
- Chasing superiority – Your never-ending thirst to become the superior.
- Desperation for love – Being dependant on others for survival and companionship.
- Being overly controlling – Trying to control your surrounding and people around you.
- Distrusting others – Not trusting anyone and holding back from the opportunities.
- Indifferent pursuit of passion – The idea of how you view outcomes on different things.
- Mind-addiction – Focussing on what your mind tells you rather than trusting your emotions and gut feelings.
But you may avoid such issues and find true happiness in life by doing a few activities. Trust me, you’ll feel good and it’ll look good too from the inside and out.
Here are the details on how to be happy and live your best life by following a few simple and easy steps.
1. Decide your goals
Setting up your goals is absolutely essential to know which goals you are struggling within the first place. When you set up a hard but achievable goal, you are likely to go for it and take your chances more. It’ll help you to push yourself towards success. You’ll get a better idea of your skills, and you’ll learn about how to improve your weaknesses and build your strengths. Once you achieve your goal, you’ll be much happier than before.
2. Focus on self-care
Doing some basic self-care activities may help you to feel good and look good. So, if you want to be physically and mentally happy, try these self-care steps:
- Wake up early – Try to wake up at least 30 min earlier than normal time. Go outside, breath fresh air.
- Exercise regularly – Join a group fitness class and meet a new people having similar fitness routines and the same workout schedule.
- Work on personal hygiene – Take shower twice a day, brush your teeth twice after meal, floss regularly, go for health check up in every 3 months, take your meds on time, etc.
- Spend time alone – Make more time for yourself. Do whatever makes you happy, but don’t interrupt others business.
- Learn new things – Learn music, pa
- inting, singing, dancing, computer programs, home repairing, electronic goods repairing, plumbing, gardening, etc.
- Be creative, start a hobby – Collect postal stamps, collect old coins, collect butterflies, collect comics, watch movies, play video games, etc.
- Listen to music – From jazz to country, from rock to hard metal, whatever you like, create your own jukebox and listen.
- Improve sex life – Spend as much time as with your spouse. Let go all of your anxiety and depression and have a good sex life. Support each other physically and mentally as much as possible.
- Stay away from social media as much as possible – Facebook, twitter, instagram, just NO! NO! NO!.
3. Gain a confidence boost
The best way to do this is to practice easier skills. Be as kind and gentle with yourself as possible. The skills like gratitude or prioritizing spending might be a cool, fun thing. The more you sharpen your skills and increase your efficiency, the more your happiness will be increased.
4. Check out your eating habits
People on the earth should eat the freshest whole plant-based foods. This year, you should follow the 80/20 model, 80% fresh fruits/vegetables and 20% other. If possible reduce your meat intake. Eating meat regularly may contribute to heart disease, diabetes, cancer, and autoimmune disease. You can’t be happy when you are sick, right?
5. Stock resources and freeze them
Try to bring home food that doesn’t come in a box or a bag. Go for natural fruits or veggies, and avoid highly processed food products. Keep your fridge fuller than your pantry. That means, do not cook too much food, reduce wastage. Having your stocks full of fresh veggies and food items will give you a good feeling. That’s happiness.
6. Avoid comparing or being compared
Every human being is different, and so as their mindset. People from different class, communities, and culture will also have a different lifestyle. So, it is wrong if you compare yourself with others. Every situation you encounter in life might have a different impact on other people. So, you can’t compare yourself with your neighbor and say “Oh gosh! She is much happier than me!! Look, she might have some other issues that you don’t, and she might also be thinking like you. So, do not compare your situation with anyone and don’t let others compare you with anyone.
7. Take care of your relationships
Having a good relationship with your spouse, family, and friends is quite necessary for a healthy living happy life. So, do whatever you can do to make them happy and your relationship strong.
8. Take a vacation
Most of the time going for a vacation may reduce your stress and drag you out from clinical depression. So, you must go for a short tour whenever you feel down or feel lonely. Traveling is the thing you buy that makes you wealthier, with priceless memories.
9. Take control of your finances
Make a budget, review your accounts, start saving for a big purchase, pay off your debts and you’ll find financial happiness.
10. Sell off some stuff
Declutter your house. Things you do not require may help you to get things that you really want. So, sell off useused, old stuff and use that money to buy new things. If you don’t have anything to buy, then pay off your debts by using that money and be happy.
Happiness can be found near you. You just have to make some wise choices and keep a proper mindset to achieve it. Remember, problems are part of life. But you may overcome those problems and live a happy life if you follow these simple steps.